History of the Moor Pool Estate
The Moor Pool Estate was the vision of John Sutton Nettlefold, Chair of the Housing Committee in Birmingham. The architects who built the estate were Martin & Martin, who built around 500 houses over 54 acres between 1907 and 1912. The Estate was designed around the existing pool with the heart of the estate centered round the Circle which is the location of the shops, Moor Pool Hall, Skittle Alley, Snooker Hall, community shops, tennis courts, a bowling green, fishing pond and allotments.
It was initially a co-partnership housing scheme run by Harborne Tenants Ltd and tenants could buy shares with intention that they would eventually manage the estate themselves as co-owners.
The Moor Pool estate is now a designated conservation area.
“It is fortunately becoming more and more recognised every day that open spaces are necessary to the health of the town, as streets are to its traffic.” J S Nettlefold, 1908.
“There must be better houses, more air, more gardens, and more spaces for playgrounds for children.” Dr Gore 26th October 1907.
In his opening address at the sod cutting ceremony on the 26th October 1907, Dr William Gore said:
“They were perfectly conscious that the housing problem lay at the very root of social reform. There must be better houses, more room, more gardens and more open spaces for the children. The Harborne Tenants aspired to provide houses under these conditions within the means of workmen and artisans........These houses were to be suitable for bringing up healthy children and healthy men and women. It would be an example of town-planning........They had set an example of what could be done in the way of town planning on a voluntary basis. They were going to make an Edgbaston for the less wealthy class on that spot”.
More on the history of Moor Pool ...COMING SOON!
MOOR POOL IN THE MEDIA